How to preserve vitamins in food items?
Taking care of your diet always comes down to actually eating balanced meals full of necessary nutrients, and the first association with nutrients for most people are – fruits and vegetables. However, you also need to know how to make the most of each food item, because each of them is really special and requires different preparation. Here are some tips on how you can preserve and make the best use of vitamins from food items:
- If you like salads, it is necessary to prepare them immediately before eating, because vitamins do not last long. You will get a completely different effect if you prepare a salad when you have time and leave it in the refrigerator until consumption. Fruits and vegetables that sit for a long time, lose vitamins due to the oxidation process.
- When cutting fruits and vegetables, use a sharper knife, because the amount of vitamins A and C decreases if the food is crushed.
- Before cooking, it is not necessary to defrost frozen fruits and vegetables.
- To preserve as many nutrients in vegetables as possible, cook them briefly and in as little water as possible. Steaming is recommended as the best option.
- If you are a fan of potatoes, you will best utilise their nutrients and healthy substances if you bake them in the oven or cook them together in their skins.
We all need the intake of vitamins for the proper functioning of the whole organism and the strengthening of immunity. Therefore, nutrients and vitamins that originate directly from food items are the best choice for vitamin intake.